Have I ever told you how much I LOVE kale chips? They are easy to make, delicious, healthy and best of all, my little girl love them!
This recipe for kale chips below is one of the simplest way to make kale chips. They are baked in the oven and are super crunchy and super additive. I always double my batch and use 2 bunches of kale when I make these.
This is the most basic recipe for kale chips and is also one of our favourites. We also love this Cheesy Vegan Kale Chips Recipe. Even though they are both kale chips, comparing them would be like comparing apples and oranges.
After making these so many time, here are some things I’d recommend when making kale chips.
Tips To Make The Best Kale Chips
- The kale leaves must be completely dry before you put oil on them. After I wash them and spun them in a salad spinner, I put it out on the table to dry completely…about 2-4 hours depending on humidity.
- Make sure the oil coats the leaves
- I recommend baking the kale on parchment paper. You can do without but the chips will stick to the cookie sheet just a little. When you’re trying to get the very crispy chip to come off the cookie sheet, it might break.
- Depending on the variety of kale you have and the thickness of the leaves, the baking time varies. I used a curly leaved kale which is slighting thicker than a not-so-curly-leave kale.
- It’s best to keep an eye on the kale while it’s baking and you can even pull them out around the 15 minute mark just to check how crispy they are. You DO NOT want the kale to turn brown – brown kale is bitter and your kids won’t eat them!
- If you think you chips is just about done and is scared of burning them, try turning off your oven and let them roast in there for a little longer while keeping an eye on them.
- If you find your chips could be drier and crispier after you’ve removed them from parchment paper, you could dump all of them back on the cookie sheet and put them in the over with the heat off. At this point, the oven is warm enough to really dry out the chips and cool enough to not burn them.
Homemade Kale Chips Recipe
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
How To Make Kale Chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With scissors, remove the leaves from the steams and tear into bit size pieces. Wash and dry kale with a salad spinner. When leaves are completely dry, put into a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil onto the leaves. Mix and message oil into leaves until leaves are coated.
- Sprinkle on salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them and don’t let them turn brown!
- When done, you could squeeze some lemon juice or sprinkle on some vinegar for more flavour
If you like this easy kale chip recipe, you could also try this cheesy vegan kale chips. Also super delicious, super healthy and super addictive.