I’ve always been a fan of easy homemade gifts, both giving and receiving it. The ‘made with love’ part of these gifts just can’t compare to things money could buy.
As a little token of how much we love and appreciate our friends and her teachers, Elle and I made these Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix In A Jar for them.
Now let me just take a moment to comment on her outfit, because it always amuses me with her outfit combinations.
Today she put on these items in this order: underwear, red stockings, tank top, long sleeve white polka dotted hello kitty shirt, princess t-shirt, demon skirt with flower embroidery, then a stripe dress. To accessorize, she put on her black lanyard, dog tag, string of pink beads and a little smirk to complete the look.
Yes, that is a lot and I was really surprised she didn’t wear a pair of shorts under her skirt like she did yesterday.
I really need to make her a ‘I Dressed Myself’ button so people don’t think I’m the crazy one when we go out.
Now, let’s get back on topic.
For the chocolate chip cookies recipe, I tested out a few different mixes meant for jars and I found this one on AllRecipes.com and made a few alterations.
The recipe below will fit really nicely into a 1 pint wide mouth mason jar (1 pint equals 2 cups). The reason I used a wide mouth mason jar instead of a regular mouth is because it is so much easier to wash.
When putting the ingredients in the jar, we tried using a funnel with a 3/4″ diameter and it just didn’t work. We ended up curling a piece of paper to make a really wide mouth funnel and guided the flour mixture and brown sugar into the jar.
When you put in your flour and pack down the brown sugar, the space leftover at the top is about 1 cup which is the amount of chocolate chips the recipe calls for. No need to measure, just pour in and pat down. Easy, right?
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix In A Jar Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
How To Make This Cookie Mix In A Jar
- Pop in your email below to download the free printable. Print and cut out printables.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Pour it into a 1 pint wide mouth mason jar. (2 cups)
- Pour in the brown sugar and pack it down.
- Pour in chocolate chips and pack it down.
- Close the lid with the ‘Chocolate Chip Cookies’ label on top (the circular one)
- Attach the ‘A Gift For You’ instructions card with some kitchen string (also known as baker’s twine)
Here are the instructions that’s on the recipe card if you need it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Empty the jar of cookie mix into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2/3 cup margarine, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- Add to dry mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.