Elle’s grandpa LOVES to fish and I think Elle picked up some of his passion.
Elle has so much fun when her grandpa takes her fishing at a nearby neighbourhood lake. He would stand beside her and guide her hand as she waves the rod in and out of water. Of course she’s not really fishing and this is totally safe. The smart man took the hook off of the fishing line but left the weight at the end for some weight. Elle would giggle and laugh as they bounce the weight in and out of water.
So when I saw this Indoor Fishing project on Kiwi Crate, I knew I had to do this with Elle.
While we were playing the game, I tried to make it educational by giving her challenges like ‘can you catch 2 yellow fishes?’ and ‘can you catch 2 fishes with your fishing rod? How about 3 fishes?’. Then I taught her about magnets and metal, and asked her to find other things in the house the magnet would stick to.
This project is really fun to make and doesn’t cost a whole lot either. It kept the little girl occupied for about 40 minutes total.
Here are the supplies for this project…
- string or yarn
- pipe cleaners
- blue paper (optional)
- wire cutters
How we put this activity together…
- Find a stick to use as a fishing pole. I cut off a branch from the apple tree in the backyard and took off the leaves.
- Tie a piece of string or yarn to the end of the stick
- At the other end of the string, glue on a magnet. My husband have these tiny cube magnets from I don’t know where. I used 2 of those and sandwiched it between some washi tape.
Fishes and Pond
- Cut the pipe cleaners in half.
- Bend it in half and twist the ends to make the tail.
- Cut a water shape out of the blue paper (optional)
- Put the fish in the pond and use the fishing pole to catch the fish =)
If you’re a busy parent and want to do fun crafts with your kids but find it challenging to research a craft and get all the supplies, consider Kiwi Crate craft kits. Once a month, they’ll send you a box with at least 2 crafts with ALL the materials you’ll need. All you need to do is to open up the box and have fun!